1. Chambers AF et al. Dissemination and growth of cancer cells in metastatic sites. Nature Rev 2002; 2: 563-72.
2. Mundy GR. Metastasis to bone: causes, consequences and therapeutic opportunities. Nature Rev 2002; 2: 584-93.
3. Roodman GD. Mechanisms of bone metastasis. N Engl J Med 2004; 350: 1655-64.
4. Roodman GD. Biology of osteoclast activation in cancer. J Clin Oncol 2001; 19: 3562-71.
5. Rodan GA, Fleisch H. Bisphosphonates: Mechanisms of action. J Clin Invest 1996; 97: 2692-6.
6. Rogers MJ et al. Molecular mechanism of action of bisphosphonates. Bone 1999; 24: 73S-79S.
7. Paterson AHG et al. Double-blind controlled trial of oral clodronate in patients with bone metastases from breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 1993; 11: 59-65.
8. Hortobagyi GN et al. Efficacy of pamidronate in reducing skeletal complications in patients with breast cancer and lytic bone metastases. N Engl J Med 1996; 335: 1785-91.
9. Body JJ et al. Intravenous ibandronate reduces the incidence of skeletal complications in patients with breast cancer and bone metastases. Ann Oncol 2003; 14: 1399-405.
10. Diel IJ et al. Improved quality of life for long-term treatment with the bisphosphonate ibandronate in patients with metastatic bone disease due to breast cancer. Eur J Cancer 2004; 40: 1704-12.
11. Rosen LS et al. Zoledronic acid versus pamidronate in the treatment of skeletal metastases in patients with breast cancer or osteolytic lesions of multiple myeloma: A phase III, double-blind comparative trial. Cancer J 2001; 7: 377-87.
12. Boyle WJ et al. Osteoclast differentiation and activation. Nature 2003; 423: 337-42.
13. Lacey DL et al. Osteoprotegerin ligand is a cytokine that regulates osteoclast differentiation and activation. Cell 1998; 93: 165-76.
14. Hofbauer LC, Heufelder AE. Role of receptor activator of nuklear factor-kappa B ligand and osteoprotegerin in bone cell biology. J Mol Med 2001; 79: 243-53.
15. Stopeck AT et al. Denosumab compared with zoledronic acid for the treatment of bone metastases in patients with advanced breast cancer: A randomized double-blind study. J Clin Oncol 2010; 35: 5132-9.
16. Fizazi K et al. Denosumab versus zoledronic acid for treatment of bone metastases in men with castration-resistant prostate cancer: A randomised double-blind study. Lancet 2011; 377: 813-22.
17. Henry DH et al. Randomized double-blind study of denosumab versus zoledronic acid in the treatment of bone metastases in patients with advanced cancer (excluding breast and prostate cancer) or multiple myeloma. J Clin Oncol 2011; 29: 1125-32.
18. Lipton A et al. Superiority of denosumab to zoledronic acid for prevention of skeletal-related events: A combined analysis of 3 pivotal, randomised, phase 3 trials. Eur J Cancer 2012; 48: 3082-92.
19. Cleeland CS et al. Pain outcomes in patients with advanced breast cancer and bone metastases: Results from a randomized, double-blind study of denosumab and zoledronic acid. Cancer 2013; 119: 832-8.
20. Martin M et al. Bone-related complications and quality of life in advanced breast cancer: Results from a randomized phase III trial of denosumab versus zoledronic acid. Clin Cancer Res 2012; 18: 4841-9.
21. Vadhan-Raj S et al. Clinical benefit in patients with metastatic bone disease: Results of a phase 3 study of denosumab versus zoledronic acid. Ann Oncol 2012; 23: 3045-51.
22. Saad F et al. Incidence, risk factors, and outcomes of osteonecrosis of the jaw: Integrated analysis from three blinded active-controlled phase III trials in cancer patients with bone metastases. Ann Oncol 2012; 23: 1341-7.
23. Body JJ et al. Hypocalcemia in patients with metastatic bone disease receiving denosumab. J Clin Oncol 2013; 31 (15S): 607s (ASCO 2013, Abstract #9628).
24. Pfeilschifter J, Diel IJ. Osteoporosis due to cancer treatment: Pathophysiology and management. J Clin Oncol 2000; 18: 1570-93.
25. Cummings SR et al. Endogenous hormones and the risk of hip and vertebral fractures among older women. N Engl J Med 1998; 339: 733-8.
26. Kanis J et al. A high incidence of vertebral fracture in women with breast cancer. Br J Cancer 1999; 79: 1179-81.
27. Chen Z et al. Fracture risk among breast cancer survivors. Results from the women`s health initiative observational study. Arch Intern Med 2005; 165: 552-8.
28. Shapiro CL et al. Ovarian failure after adjuvant chemotherapy with rapid bone loss in women with early-stage breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2001; 19: 3306-11.
29. Sverrisdottir A et al. Bone mineral density among premenopausal woman with early breast cancer in a randomized trial of adjuvant endocrine therapy. J Clin Oncol 2005; 22: 3694-9.
30. Chien AJ, Goss PE. Aromatase inhibitors and bone health in women with breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2006; 24: 5305-12.
31. Gnant MF et al. Zoledronic acid prevents cancer treatment-induced bone loss in premenopausal women receiving adjuvant endocrine therapy for hormone-responsive breast cancer: A report from the Austrian Breast and Colorectal Cancer Study Group. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25: 820-8.
32. Gnant M et al. Adjuvant endocrine therapy plus zoledronic acid in premenopausal women with early breast cancer: 5-year follow-up of the ABCSG-12 bone-mineral density substudy. Lancet Oncol 2008; 9: 840-9.
33. Powles TJ et al. Oral clodronate and reduction in loss of bone mineral density in women with operable breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 1998; 90: 704-8.
34. Delmas PD et al. Bisphosphonate risedronate prevents bone loss in women with artificial menopause due to chemotherapy of breast cancer: A double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Clin Oncol 1997; 15: 955-62.
35. Van Poznak C et al. Prevention of aromatase inhibitor-induced bone loss using risedronate: The SABRE trial. J Clin Oncol 2010; 28: 967-75.
36. Lester JE et al. Prevention of anastrozole-induced bone loss with monthly oral ibandronate during adjuvant aromatase inhibitor therapy for breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2008; 14: 6336-42.
37. Ellis G et al. Randomized trial of denosumab in patients receiving adjuvant aromatase inhibitors for nonmetastatic breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26: 4875-82.
38. Smith MR et al. Denosumab in men receiving androgen-deprivation therapy for prostate cancer. N Engl J Med 2009; 361: 745-55.
39. Diel IJ et al. Reduction in new metastases in breast cancer with adjuvant clodronate treatment. N Engl J Med 1998; 339: 357-63.
40. Saarto T et al. Adjuvant clodronate treatment does not reduce the frequency of skeletal metastases in node-positive breast cancer patients: 5-year results of a randomized controlled trial. J Clin Oncol 2001; 19: 10-1.
41. Powles TJ et al. Randomized, placebo-controlled trial of clodronate in patients with primary operable breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2002; 20: 3219-24.
42. Paterson AHG et al. Oral clodronate for adjuvant treatment of operable breast cancer (NSABP-project protocol B-34): A multicentre, placebo-controlled, randomised trial. Lancet Oncol 2012; 13: 734-42.
43. Gnant M et al. Endocrine therapy plus zoledronic acid in premenopausal breast cancer. New Engl J Med 2009; 360: 679-91.
44. Eidtmann H et al. Efficacy of zoledronic acid in postmenopausal women with early breast cancer receiving adjuvant letrozole: 36-months results of the ZO-FAST-study. Ann Oncol 2010; 21: 2188-94.
45. Coleman R et al. Zoledronic acid (zoledronate) for postmenopausal women with early breast cancer receiving adjuvant letrozole (ZO-FAST study): Final 60-month results. Ann Oncol 2013; 24: 398-405.
46. Coleman RE et al. Breast cancer adjuvant therapy with zoledronic acid. N Engl J Med 2011; 365: 1396-405.
47. Von Minckwitz G et al. German adjuvant intergroup node-positive Study: A phase III trial to compare oral ibandronate versus observation in patients with high-risk early breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2013; 31: 3531-9.
48. Coleman R et al. Effects of bisphosphonate treatment on recurrence and cause-specific mortality in women with early breast cancer. A meta-analysis of individual patients data from randomized trials. San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium 2013, Abstract #S4-07.